Gum disease attacks the gums and bone structures that support and surround the teeth. If left untreated, this disease can cause the loss of healthy jawbone structure and even tooth loss.
Signs of Gum Disease
Gum disease can be reversed and treated more easily if it is caught in its early stages. Be sure to schedule a visit with our dentists if you notice any of the symptoms below:
– Swollen, tender, or red gums
– Gums that bleed easily, particularly when you brush and floss
– Teeth that look longer because of gum recession
– Periodontal pockets between the teeth and the gums
– Changes to your bite
– Pus coming from the gums
– Persistent bad breath or bad taste in the mouth
– Loose teeth
Risk Factors of Gum Disease
There are certain factors that can increase an individual’s risk for developing gum disease, including:
– Smoking. Smoking can also lower the chances of success with some periodontal treatments.
– Hormonal changes in girls and women can make the gums more sensitive, and therefore put them more at risk of infection.
– Stress can make fighting infection, like gum disease, more difficult for our bodies.
– Some medications can cause dry mouth, thus affecting oral health.
– Some diseases and their treatments can affect the health of the gums.
– A family history of gum disease can make you more susceptible to the disease.
Feel free to contact Oak Park Dental at 337-478-3232 today to learn more and to schedule a visit with our dentists in Lake Charles, Louisiana.