Oral cancer includes cancers that occur in the lip, the mouth, the throat, the tonsils, or the salivary glands. When oral cancer is not detected early, it requires intensive treatment like surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. In addition, oral cancer can be fatal. Detecting oral cancer early is important to successful treatment.
In addition to coming to your regular dental checkups, visiting Oak Park Dental is imperative if you notice any of the following symptoms:
– A sore on the gums, lips, or inside of your mouth that won’t go away
– A lump or swelling anywhere around your mouth or throat
– Numbness or loss of feeling inside of the mouth
– Difficulty chewing or swallowing
– White or red patches inside of the mouth
– Soreness in the mouth for an unexplained reason
– A feeling that something is caught in the throat
– A change in your voice
– Swelling in the jaw
– Ear pain
– Difficulty moving your jaw or tongue
– Loose teeth for no known reason
– Persistent hoarseness or sore throat
It is important to realize that you may not always be able to detect the earliest signs of oral cancer yourself. Because of this, regular appointments with our dentists are imperative. When you come in for your routine appointment, our dentists may perform an oral cancer screening. This check will occur twice a year, so oral cancer can be detected and treated early.
We invite you to contact our office at 337-478-3232 today for more information about screening for oral cancer in Lake Charles, Louisiana, and to schedule your next visit. Our dentists and team are ready to monitor, improve, and maintain your oral health.